Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Evening Train


I just finished this piece titled, "Evening Train. " I am fortunate, or so I think, to hear an evening train every night. My house, built in 1875, sits next to the old Baltimore to Harrisburg Railroad. While those tracks are long gone we are surrounded by trains that are still running, so late at night and early in the morning we hear the whistle blowing and can sometimes actually hear the train on the tracks even though it 's a good two miles away.
It is a very romantic sound to me. Stirring up thoughts of travel and wanderlust.
For my two year old daughter, it is exciting and fun to hear the whistle. She yells, "all aboard" with great enthusiasm.
I wrote the poem that goes along with this peace...I hope you enjoy...
All aboard the evening train under a Calypso Sky
Whistling through the rolling hills, one fine owl takes a ride
Two sheep dine by moonlight, stars twinkle high above
The train moves on, Dreamland bound, with boxcars full of love

No comments: