Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ready, Set Sail


"Ready, Set Sail," the latest piece in my Summer Collection, depicts a little girl and boy out on a high sea adventure (with their dog and cat in tow).
The piece started with a simple request from my daughter, "Can we fly my kite?" This request came everyday, but sadly the wind did not. Finally, just before a thunderstorm the wind picked up and I had the good fortune of remembering the kite.
Excitedly we ran out to the backyard. Where I ran...and ran...and ran attempting to get the kite a flying. All the while my daughter was screaming and stomping because she could not hold the kite. Not the whimsical activity I was hoping for...but I am not giving up. Perhaps kite flying is best lest for the beach.
The poem I wrote for this piece reads
We're sailing, we're sailing across the ocean green
We're searching , we're searching for things we've never seen
Perhaps we'll find a treasure or spot a rare new fish
Or come across a mermaid who will grant us each a wish
On a Summer day of exploring, there's no telling what might be
With our friends and a lofty wind, beyond the land at sea

No comments: